We have moved our blog operations to the new Gogogic home page. Please follow us at http://www.gogogic.com/blog/ to stay updated on the latest news about Gogogic.
Archive for the ‘Casual’ Category
Vikings of Thule has evolved quite a bit over the past year. Because of this, we have updated our gameplay video to include new features and graphics.
This is a simple introduction to the gameplay in Vikings of Thule, an innovative social MMORPG on Facebook.
Your goal is to be one of the 39 most respected chiefs in the land. To do so, you will have to duel against other Vikings in live, online animated duels or offline battles, accumulate wealth and respect, manage your land and followes, and prove your might in Thule.
Years have passed since the settlement of the promised land. Each quadrant has been claimed and many a fine chief have risen. The population is migrating to the land’s four most favored settlements, giving the most able dwarves the incentive to create a new map of Thule. Not only will this move enhance relations, but it allows Viking chiefs to stand side by side in a world teeming with imminent threats.
Prepare yourselves for an exciting expansion to the world of Thule. We are simplifying the game’s layout and paving the way for even more content in the near future with Chapter 1: Slayer of Wyrms. While the current gameplay is basically unchanged, we are adding adventures geared to drawing in new players and building up our player base. This will result in a more active battlefield as new players come into the game. The introduction of our new adventure system might seem simple at first, but it will be expanded upon greatly to include microgames, tactical choices, and indepth stories.
Some points of notice with this expansion are:
•There will now be 4 major settlements. You will automatically be moved to the settlement in your quadrant.
•The map has been redesigned to accommodate upcoming features. While many settlements are gone, no windfalls have been removed.
•We have introduced the first adventure to embark upon. This adventure is a simple introduction to our new adventure system and will pave the way for many more adventures, which will test your wit and skill in upcoming releases.
•Expect many bug fixes and improvements.
Chapter 1 will be released on Monday, August 16th, 2010.
Congratulations to Bendik the Great, who has won our “Your Viking Story” contest on the forum and will receive the limited edition Vikings of Thule poster. This was his Viking’s incredible tale:
The mighty warrior thegn, Assgrim the Bellowing, happily went to visit his gods. It had been a great battle, and he had just witnessed his fourteenth son be torn from his mother’s womb – just as his sire too large in birth to allow the wench to live. This on the very battle field where the mangled corpses of three Earls now lay, slain by Assgrim himself. His usually stony and unrevealing face split in a rare grin, as he thought of how they would be picked clean by Odin’s Swans before long. One cleaved swiftly in half by his giant axe, Þorgnýr. The second crushed to a pulp with a swat of his bear paw hand. The third scared straight to Helheim by his trademark battle roar and a mere glance of his evil eye. What a glorious day it had been!
During his berserker rage he had not noticed the hail of throwing spears thudding into his broad back, but now they had finally claimed his life. No matter. The enemy was all but routed and his work done. He thrust the standard firmly far into the blood-soaked ground, and looked around to catch his liege’s eye, idly keeping the remaining attackers at bay with his axe.
– “Håkon!” He bellowed, calling him only by name, and deafening three nearby warriors for life. “I’ve done most of your work for you this day. Now I have a boon to ask.”
– “Speak it, and it is granted”, his liege replied, ducking from a stray arrow. He glanced grimly up at the myriad grievous wounds and various weapons protruding from Assgrim’s sturdy frame, wondering how the man could still be standing.
– “In the grove over there is my last son, soon to be an orphan. His mother is not yet cold, and the valkyries are drooling to collect my soul.” Assgrim paused to retrieve Þorgnýr from a particularly thick enemy scull, where the axe had lodged.
– “I’ll raise the boy as my own”, Håkon offered.
– “No,” Assgrim continued evenly, “that is not what I ask. You are a kind-hearted and generous ruler. You’ll spoil him rotten. I want him to grow up to be a true warrior as his forefathers before him. Take him to my brother on Iceland. That quarrelsome ******* will put the fear of the gods in him and make him a man, or kill him in the process.”
– “Nid-Egil the Mad? That’s who you would put in the boy’s path?” Håkon asked in disbelief. Seeing Assgrim was serious, he nodded. “Very well. So be it. Have you a name for your son?”
Assgrim furrowed his brows in thought. His steel grey eyes were starting to cloud over, but suddenly they gleamed with their old mischief. He had spotted a priest on the other side, administering to the enemy wounded (and no doubt picking them clean of valuables in the process). So he yelled over the dwindling battle din to catch the priest’s attention:
– “O robed one! Crossbearer! What is your name, you dress-wearing excuse for a man?”
– “Ehrm, my name is Bendik, warrior. It means “the blessed one” in the Chruch tounge.” the shocked priest called back, looking with horror on the Norse apparition looming in the distance.
– “Hah! Perfect.” chuckled Assgrim, and muttered to himself: “That’ll put some gravel in the boy’s gut and make him remember his father, though none too fondly, I’m sure.”
Turning back to Håkon, he stated gravely:
– “You have a name and a mission, and I have no more business here in Midgard. I shall see you again in Valhall.”
With that he waded back into the fray and through the enemy ranks as through a field of spelt, killing and maiming left and right in a last outburst of massive force. His onslaught punched straight through the crumbling shield wall opposing him. Then he was surrounded and pierced from all sides by spears and swords alike until he could move no further. Laughing, he threw off his helmet and tilted his face to the sky for a final roar:
– “Odin! Count the dead, and make room at your table! Let all of Asgard know I’m coming, and let word of my deeds echo forever!”
– “Oh yeah, and hide your mead and women!” he added as an afterthought.
Closing his eyes, he let himself drift away and fell like a thundering avalanche, crushing eleven of his surviving assailants as he went down. The crows who had gathered in the nearby tree tops took to the air, scared by the earth-shattering crash. Then the enemy warriors bowed their heads in respect and threw down their arms, and a hushed silence spread across the battle field.
Assgrim lay dead in the Outlands.
A warrior close to Håkon was the first to break the silence.
– “By the gods.” he said. “We’ll never see another one like him. Probably a good thing too.”
– “Yeah”, grunted Håkon, starting towards the grove. “I wouldn’t be too certain about that. Only the Norns know the future, but I’ll sure as Hel do my part to follow their threads.”
So begins the tale of Bendik the Great, a long and harsh ordeal indeed, but perhaps one that will make him even greater. In time.
Gogogic are offering you the chance to win one of these beautiful limited edition Vikings of Thule posters.
To be eligible to win, be creative, go to the thread on the forum, and tell us a backstory to your Viking in the game or tell us why you yourself are a Viking in spirit before 10:00 on the morning of Friday, July 9th. The Vikings of Thule team will then vote on our favorite story on Friday morning.
Let us hear who you are! The contest begins now at this link: http://forum.gogogic.com/showthread.php/84-Tell-us-your-Viking-story-and-win-a-limited-edition-Vikings-of-Thule-poster!
Did you miss out on The Ever Glowing Idol of Freyja in April? We have decided to give you another chance to earn it if you do not have it yet! If you do have the item, you will unfortuantely not be awarded a second, so no need to tag us if you participated in this promotion last time.
All you have to do is tag Gogogic in a Facebook status update once in the next 24 hours! This promotion will end on Friday, June 4th at 11:00am GMT! Make sure you see the tag appear on the Gogogic Facebook page, otherwise we won’t be able to record it. If you do not see your tag, just post a message on the wall saying that you tried to tag. 😉
We will keep track of all the tags that appear on our Facebook page, and the item will be deposited into those inventories tomorrow afternoon. Don’t know how to tag? Simply type the @ sign, type Gogogic, and click on our page. May this item bring warmth to the weary hearts of Thule.
The Glowing Idol of Freyja – Sjöfn awards you with the ever-glowing idol of Freyja, the goddess of love and beauty. May its soothing gleam bring warmth to the weary hearts of Thule.
Gain: +10 RP per day
How to Obtain: This is a limited edition gift, given only to players who tag Gogogic in a Facebook status update. This promotion will run once every few weeks for a different amount of time.
Some of the Gogogic team will be at the Nordic Game Conference in Malmö this week. Say hello if you happen to be there!
The Ever-Glowing Idol of Freyja, the goddess of love and beauty, brings warmth to the weary hearts of Thule. This limited edition special item will give players +10 RP per day!
Want to earn it? It’s simple! All you have to do is tag Gogogic in a Facebook status update once during the next week! Starting now until 10:00 next Thursday, the 15th of April! We will see who does so on the pages, and the item will be deposited into those inventories during the afternoon of the 15th of April. Don’t know how to tag? Simply type the @ sign, and type Gogogic.
Gogogic paid tribute to the eruption in southern Iceland by including an erupting volcano on the game’s map. The inclusion of this graphic brings real-world news into the exciting online world of Thule. The eruption, which began in the Fimmvörðuhals region of Iceland on the night of Saturday, March 20th, has made headlines and attracted a steady stream of visitors. Players around the world can now share a small part of the excitement brought on by Iceland’s volcanic activity.