Last December we announced that Gogogic had been formally awarded a grant for 400.000 DKK (about $ 72.000) from the Nordic Game Program to develop Vikings of Thule, a casual MMOG specifically designed to integrate with Facebook and Facebook Connect.
Since then we’ve immersed ourselves in Viking lore and tried to reconcile our ancestral heritage with our inner geekdom. We’re stormed around the office wearing fourteen layers of sheepskin and horned helms*. Virtually.
Basically, we’ve put in a lot of hours and the project is well underway. Soon we’ll be putting up a special Vikings of Thule site, where we’ll post concept art, detailed background information, back-story stuff, item lists, assets, news and other stuff that is directly related to the game and our overall progress.
Until then, here are a few “sneak peak” points:
- Casual Massively Multiplayer Game – Free to play, with in-game options, extensions and items that can be purchased.
- Viking theme (obviously) – The game is loosely built on old Nordic and Icelandic sagas, heroes and myths. The intent is to depict the vikings in an exaggerated version of reality that is cool, harsh and adventurous.
- Setting – Iceland, circa 930 AD.
- As a player you’ll be able to build and customize your character, fight and conquer your enemies, upgrade your house, weapons and equipment, buy land and gain followers, exchange gifts and interact with friends, create alliances and increase your overall abilities.
- Strategy, cunning, guile and courage will help you rise through the ranks.
- The main battle system is transactional and somewhat based on collectible card game concepts, where different moves, spells and actions can be used and played out on a “chess-like” board.
P.S. And yes. We are already thinking about iPhoneextensions and applications for VOT, although they would be released later.
*Actually, vikings never wore horned helms. Apparently, they were added to the stories, at some point during the romantic period, because they seemed heroic or something…